Monday, March 29, 2010

Math Awareness Month is coming!

Did you know that Math Awareness Month has been held in April for the last 24 years? I sure didn't!

Math Awareness Month was started in April 1986 by President Ronald Regean who emphasized that a good math education is crucial for highly skilled professions in the sciences such as "medicine, computer sciences, space exploration, the skilled trades, business, defense, and government." We may forget about how much math we do on a daily basis, but I'm making it my duty to remind you all about how and when we're doing math daily. Suggestions and any ideas are helpful and very appreciated!

This year's Math Awareness Month's theme is Math and Sports! I learned today that a soccer ball is a spherical truncated icosahedron, which has 20 hexagonal sides, and 12 pentagonal sides. Well if a soccer ball is spherical, it doesn't have "sides" but you get what I mean.


Although I don't play sports, I can appreciate the amount of math that goes into sports games. I'll attempt to use my knowledge of math to show you how much math is involved in tennis, basketball, or ice skating. More to come!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment